The background: I watched the latest Louis CK special last night. You can download it from his website for $5. That’s the only way to get it. I heard about its release from an email from Louis CK (because I’m on his mailing list).
It was great.
Here are 16 things I learned from Louis CK’s latest.
- When you can’t do bigger, do smaller.
- Frightening work usually gets great results.
- Asking people not to steal is more effective than telling them not to.
- Don’t waste words, especially on stage.
- There’s nothing wrong with doing certain things yourself (not outsourcing).
- But you still gotta have help to get results.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously.
- Make epic things rarely but regularly.
- When selling your work, make it easy to say yes (and hard to say no).
- When sending long marketing emails, make people feel like it’s written directly to them.
- And make them feel like they’re there with you while you write it.
- And fill the email with emotion.
- Bring water on stage.
- Call the audience out.
- One-hour specials live forever.
- End with a bang.