But before I try to figure out why, I should put things into perspective.
Relative to 99% of the world, yesterday didn’t suck.
I woke up when I wanted to. I worked at my own pace. I took a two-hour lunch with my girl. Then, we watched two episodes of Game of Thrones.
And I probably made some money.
So who the fuck am I to complain?
But relative to my days over the last several months, yesterday sucked.
The last several months have been outrageously:
And yesterday was none of that.
So here I go.
Why Yesterday Sucked
It all boils down to a few reasons why yesterday sucked.
- I didn’t get much work done when I was “working.”
- I didn’t have any fun when I “wasn’t working.”
Basically, I was distracted.
All damn day.
Possible reasons why I was distracted (causing yesterday to suck)
I could tell yesterday was going to suck. From the first thing I did, it was clearly going to be a pooper.
Then, I did nothing to help my cause.
Here are 10 possible reasons why yesterday sucked. No one is necessary for a sucky day. But I’m convinced many are sufficient.
- Twitter and Instagram. I looked at Twitter and Instagram in bed, immediately when I woke up. Why can’t I resist? Why do I keep reinstalling them on my phone? I’m convinced THIS SINGLE MISTAKE put me on a tailspin the rest of the day, causing…
- Yoga and meditation. I could not get in a zone the entire morning session.
- The Girl (during the workday). I was distracted by her all throughout my morning routine. Then, again as I was trying to start working. Not her fault, though.
- The Dog. I didn’t take her on a long walk. I used the cold and rain as an excuse.
- The Workout. I didn’t do it.
- The Smoothie. I didn’t have one.
- Game of Thrones. What made it a good idea to watch episodes DURING the work day? A day that was supposed to be productive (write 2,000 words)
- Caffeine. I had WAY too much of it.
- Meditation. Didn’t do my post-workday-clear-the-mind-get-ready-for-a-relaxing-evening session.
- Dinner. I ordered in Chinese Food at 10pm.
Takeaways from Yesterday
There are many, but here’s a few:
- Morning routine. Don’t skip it or break it. And follow the rules (weather only, one cup of coffee, write).
- Workout. Don’t skip it. Even if it’s cold. It makes you happy breaks up the day nicely. Plus, it’s part of your job, man.
- The Dog. See above.
- Boundaries. The work day is for work. After work is for Game of Thrones and hanging with The Girl.
Good thing is that today is a new day.
And yesterday, at least you learned something.