HBO’s Last Week Tonight with John Oliver is my new Daily Show. I watch it religiously, and it’s my main source of the news.
Pathetic? To some, probably.
But here are some non-topical things I’ve learned from watching the show.
- The daily format is dead. (Sorry, uncleleosblog.)
- The weekly format is better for a million reasons. Applies to TV, blogs, podcasts, etc.
- Make a promise and keep it. (Theirs is 30 minutes every Sunday.)
- If you’re going on vacation, say it.
- Breaks make people miss you and improves the quality of your work. (Double benefit!)
- Make stuff worth sharing.
- Build a team with one goal.
- Embrace where you came from.
- Demand change.
- Love your work.
Aside from key lessons in business and life, there is so much to learn from Last Week Tonight (food waste, the IRS, prisons, to name a few).
Are you watching?