Religion is the perfect business.
- Solves all of your problems.
- Gets better when your friends do it.
- Has no perfect substitutes.
- Is incredibly sticky (because of above).
- Generates mountains of money.
- Can get not-for-profit status.
- Connects people.
- Motivates people.
- Drives unpaid endorsements from common folk and celebs.
- You get a lifetime membership
- Costs money to learn and be certified.
- Is for insiders only.
- But is appealing and open to outsiders (who pay the tax).
This all, of course, assumes the religion is non-violent.
Even if you can’t do all of these, strive for some. Because the closer your lifestyle or practice or agency or school or store can be to a religion without calling itself one, the closer it will become to the perfect business.